4WD Tours, Guided Tours & Scenic Flights
Explore with a Local
A guided tour is a great way to experience South Canterbury. Experience our beautiful and natural environment with an experienced guide who will tailor an adventure package to suit your needs - from personalised shopping or food & wine to soft adventure or full on action. Equipment and food is usually provided, family friendly options cater for the very young in a safe environment designed to build confidence and encourage participation. Join a small group tour or hire a personal guide to explore at your own pace - ask at one of our i-SITE Visitor Centres or browse listings above.
- Engage a friendly local guide to take you on your own journey of discovery through stunning scenery, colourful history and rich local culture.
- If you want to experience the great outdoors - a trained and experienced guide can tailor an activity package to cater for the needs of the very young to the young at heart of all ages, with your safety and enjoyment assured.
- Guided tours cater for all budgets and interests, from half-day to full-day or longer multi-day tours in safe, warm and comfortable vehicles.
- 4-wheel drive tours provide back-country access to remote areas and private high country farm land usually only accessible with an approved guide.
- The great local food is often as much of a feature as the tour itself!
Maori Rock Art Tours
Heritage and Culture Tours
- Experience a personal and authentic insight into South Canterbury's unique Maori heritage with Maori rock art tours with a Ngai Tahu tribal guide.
- Pioneer trail treasures and historic heroes
- Historic churches
- Gracious old country homes
- High country station and farm experiences
Lord of the Rings Tours
- Enjoy your own personal Middle Earth experience in South Canterbury with a local guide - several local sites provided the backdrop for alpine fortresses and fierce battle scenes. See Lord of the Rings for more detail.
Food & Wine Tours
- Discover the tastes of South Canterbury with a Food & Wine guide (see listings above0 who will introduce you to the many local delights on offer
- Follow the South Canterbury Food & Wine Trail by self drive
- Enjoy a tour of some of South Canterbury's most stunning gardens during the Timaru Festival of Roses, in November each year. (See the South Canterbury Events Calendar for more information.)
- Explore the many beautiful public gardens in South Canterbury - many have picnic facilities for a relaxed family outing
- Take a guided garden tour to exquisite private gardens open only to the select few
Wilderness Tours and Farm Tours
- Experience an alpine wilderness safari
- Take a tour to a historic high country sheep station
- Experience the power of nature first hand with a guided glacier tour
- Hire a local adventure guide and design your own tour
Home Stays and Learn English Tours
- Meet real Kiwis at home with home or farm stay accommodation
- Have fun and improve your English with an ESOL (English as a Second Language) holiday home-stay tour, including informal English practice with a qualified ESOL (English as a Second Language) teacher
- Scenic flights take in breath-taking high country landscapes and mountain ranges, coastal views and sweeping vistas over regional farmland
- Ski options include heli-skiing and ski touring
Guided Outdoor Adventure Tours
- Guided mountain-bike tours
- Guided walking and hiking tours
- Guided climbing and abseiling
- Guided river and kayaking tours
Hunting and Fishing Tours
New Zealand hunting and fishing guides are highly regarded for their knowledge, experience and down to earth friendliness - all focused on delivering a memorable hunting or fishing tour for visitors. South Canterbury offers an ideal environment for hunting and fishing. The region boasts a wide range of hunting game and fishing enthusiasts find plenty of catch in the extensive network of rivers and streams.
All physical abilities and all levels of fitness are catered for – from trophy hunts on game estates to free-range alpine hunts. Hunts can be undertaken on foot, on horseback, using a four wheel drive vehicle or via helicoptor. Accomodation options include comfortable hunting lodges, remote sheep musterer (herder) huts or camping. See Hunting and Fishing for more information or browse our South Canterbury business listings for local hunting and fishing guide.
For South Canterbury accommodation options, click here.
To read about Central South Island Regional Highlights, click here.