South Canterbury NZ - Waimate
- An up-close encounter with tame wallabies including EnkleDoovery Korna
- Historic Edwardian and Victorian buildings and churches
- The quirky Artrio Art Café for great art and fabulous coffee
- A walk up to the historic White Horse Monument
- Speciality shops selling everything from antiques, collectibles and vintage clothing to upmarket kitchen/bathroom ware
- The home of Havoc Pork, visit their Waimate shop
- Waimate Farmers market - Saturday mornings (Council carpark next to the library)
- Waimate made possum/merino knitwear at Waimate Knitwear
- Fishing for quinnat salmon in the renowned Waitaki river
- A walk through native bush at nearby Gunns or Kelceys Bush
- A visit to the renowned Victoria Park Gardens or Knottingley Park
- Walking or mountainbiking on one of the many trails in and around Waimate
- Waimate Historical Museum
- Main street bushman statue
- A scenic drive to take in points of historic interest
- 4000 model vehicles at The Model Garage
- Waimate accommodation in a boutique B&B like Te Kiteroa Lodge
- Point Bush Estate Winery
- Station life, hiking and hunting at Kaiwarua Station
- Strawberry Fare, the December celebration of the delicious locally grown strawberry
Nestled at the foot of the rolling Hunters Hills just thirty minutes south of Timaru, Waimate is a classic South Canterbury New Zealand rural town and a popular gateway to the Waitaki Lakes, spectacular Mackenzie basin and one of the shortest driving routes to Queenstown.
Wide spacious streets, Edwardian buildings including several churches of historic importance, beautiful parks and gardens all create a relaxed friendly environment for both residents and visitors. The Waimate District is one of the few places in New Zealand where wallabies live in significant numbers. You can meet Waimate wallabies (the largest specimens found in New Zealand), up close in local wildlife parks, or if hunting is your sport, there is ample opportunity for this too. See Hunting & Fishing for more information about Waimate, South Canterbury NZ activities.
Browse Waimate business listings to see more information.